Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wikipedia: Friend or Foe? Response

Our librarian has always been dead against using Wikipedia. She has posters everywhere about how unreliable it is. And she's right. But should we not use it at all? I never really thought about it until I read this article, then I realized what a treasure trove of teaching opportunities it is! The author brings up many great points about the positive side of Wikipedia: that it is a living, breathing document,for it's exposure to many other topics that branch off, and the many things students can learn by the way it is constructed. I truly agree with the author that "The site becomes a 'stepping stone' for deeper research." I think it is equally important to look at it for what NOT in the entry as well. Finally, I like the idea that you can "wikify" or verify sources,or "wikification" when needing revising.

I teach 8th grade English and I hope to use this information for my final project. I want to have my students work in groups to create a Wikipedia entry. I seem to have all the components in place, but the one thing that I'm stumped on that maybe you could help me with is this: What topics should I offer my students where they don't just go on Wikipedia and copy it?? :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, I agree that Wikipedia is a living and breathing document, and that is has a lot to offer. I think it would be fun to research information on a topic and to create an entry. Your students would love it and get a sense of pride knowing that they are a small part of Wikipedia! Do you think they would be capable of using Wikipedia as a tool otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my experience working with 8th graders, the answer is no, which is precisely why I chose this project. I think by being immersed in the process by which you would construct a Wikipedia entry, students would learn reliability of sources. I think that Wikipedia dovetails with the article we read last night that it is considered "skimmable." I don't believe that students take most of what is on the internet serious enough to really read the content to be able to use it in their research. Hopefully I will get the intended results after trying this project out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, with that said would you even allow your students to use Wikipedia even after full immersion?

      Delete