My kids are both teenagers. One is 18, the other is 16. It is very natural for them to sit on the couch with the ipod in their ears, Music Videos on the TV, the phone on their lap and Facebook open on the laptop beside them - while they are "doing homework." At 16, a girl knows waaayyy more than her mother, even if she is a teacher, so for mom to attempt to stop the multi-tasking is futile. In the morning I ask, "Did you get your homework done last night?" She replies in mumbles because she was up so late working. She's frustrated because she only got half the essay done, most of the science done and completely didn't do math. Now she's grumpy because it dawns on her that she has a History quiz this morning and no study hall before it. It's a long ride into school this morning. When we get 2/3 of the way, she screams in the car... she forgot her workbook for Spanish. We turn around and go back, now we're in crunch time. It really doesn't matter how many times I tell her that she can't work this way, she says, "I know, I know." Grades are important, college, scholarships... do you really think I can afford to pay your way through college?? Besides, you need to earn enough money to take care of me when I'm old! The arguing goes on... Multi-tasking doesn't work.
It wasn't that long ago that the news adopted the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen. When it first came out I had such a hard time with it. I couldn't concentrate on both things. Then CNN came out with TWO scroll bars, an extra one for stocks. That really threw me. Yes, I did get used to it, but it took time and practice. But I still can't tell you what happened both on the screen and on the scroll bar.
I believe that there is a time, place, purpose, and approach for all types of reading. As a society, and as educators and parents, we need to guide our kids to what is appropriate. When reading a complex text, it is imperative that everything else is off and there are no distractions. Focus is paramount. Twittering, texting, Facebook are types of reading that can afford interference. Students need to know those parameters. Our culture today has molded young adults who are "plugged in," and who don't know the discipline of reading for critical thinking. And I believe the opportunities for them to learn this skill is limited. I'm happy to see the Common Core addressing these issues and am confident that education will help guide our children to address each reading for the manner it is was intended.
Kim, I could not agree more with you that there is a time, place and purpose for all types of reading. I also think that we as parents of these techie professionals will need to think of ways to incorporate more reading time/less techie time. It is tough though. As a parent of four, I feel like I have to be constantly on top of this.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete